Thursday, December 31, 2009

All diapers are NOT created equal...(Info Post)

Diapers...sheesh who knew this was gonna be such a struggle. No diaper is alike at all...we have tried a large gambit of them to say the least. When one box of diapers last us only 4-5 days we definitely use a lot...roughly 12-14 diapers per day. Before I get to far with this...yes, I know EVERY baby is different. But this is what worked best for all three of our girls who are all very different in the way their bodies are shaped...so here we go.
-
Our girls from 5lbs-16lbs (Newborn-22lbs Diapers)
Well when they were smaller we LOVED Pampers Swaddlers...best diaper we tried. We also tried Huggies and Parent's Choice (Walmart)...neither worked at all...they both leaked like a broken faucet...just terrible...so our conclusion was that babies from newborn-22lbs (after 16lbs they no longer worked for us) should use Pamper's Swaddlers.
-
Our girls from 16lbs-current (Diaper size 3)
Here we are now currently at a new cross road...we are on the hunt for our new "favorite" diaper. We used a Pampers diaper that must have been an import or something...it was all in Spanish but it worked out ok.
*Pampers Cruisers - Not bad...I would give it a 2.5 out of 5
--11 leak throughs out of 76 diapers...
--Tabs don't hold very well...
--Good odor control...
--Solid hold...two doo doo blow outs...
--Construction of diaper is very comfortable to the touch...fabric like material.
--Quiet diaper...
*Luvs - Again not bad...I would give it a 4 out of 5
--Zero leak throughs out of 96 diapers...
--Tabs hold very well...
--Terrible on odor control...they pack it with a baby powder smell...it makes the stinks even worse...its like someone with really bad body odor trying to cover it by putting on a ton of cologne, it just doesn't work...actually makes it smell worse. Pee, poo, and gas smell WORSE.
--Good hold...zero doo doo blow outs...
--Construction of diaper is ok...faint blue gel noticeable in the crotch of diapers for absorption...diaper was very pliable and wasn't too stiff to the feel.
--VERY loud diaper...some sort of plastic within the diaper...
*Huggies Little Movers 4 out of 5
--1 leak through out of 76 diapers...
--Tabs hold VERY well...best out of all three.
--No excessive odor from diaper but it doesn't seem to have an odor blocker either...
--Good hold...One doo doo blow out...
--Construction of diaper is very comfortable to the touch but is a bit stiffer than the Pampers and Luvs diapers...fabric like material.
--These too are a very quiet diaper...
-
Yup I know...EVERY BABY is different. But these are my opinions on the diapers we have tried...some people I am sure are shaking there head in disgust because we use disposable diapers...but when you have three babies the rules change...we went with the easiest solution possible...even price wise they are pretty equal to a cloth diaper service or doing it ourselves...we already do three-four loads of laundry per week just for the girls...I didn't need to add the work load of rinsing out 75+ clothes diapers per week and then washing them...not my idea of fun. Unless you have three babies at once you can never say it would be better doing cloth...wow how did this become a cloth vs disposable post? Sorry...I must have had something stewing in me or something...Until Next Time...BYE
-
See you next year...

4 comments:

Melissa E. said...

My son uses the Huggies Little Movers, and has been okay. Only 1 or 2 blowouts in six months, and most of those times I think it was because the diaper slid over so the "stuff" could escape. Oh, and once he had a leak because my dad was babysitting him and got confused. He put the diaper on backwards and taped it shut with scotch tape. That resulted in a big leak, but you can't blame it on the diapers.

Also, regarding the cloth diapers, I looked into them before my son was born, and it appears that the water waste necessary to clean that many cloth diapers is just as bad for the environment as disposable diapers. There is no perfect solution, and thus we went with the disposable for convenience's sake.

You can probably consider yourself the diaper expert now, judging by how many diapers you've changed.

Ryan said...

Melissa- I agree I might consider myself a little bit of an expert...those three boxes I used as a test lasted us about 2.5 Weeks...so yeah we go through a lot...we are still trying different ones here and there...but I agree the "Little Movers" do work well...I'm with you all the way on the cloth...it just didn't make sense to me at all...waste is waste why make it harder on yourself...

Brian and Crystal said...

I just found your blog today and I must say, I am very impressed. We are about 7 months behind you guys. Great blog.
I could not agree more with the first part about the Pampers. That is ALL the we use right now. My boy is about to grow out of the size 1-2, so we will have to do our own experimenting. We tried the Huggies in the beginning and they were CRAP! Terrible!!!
Thanks for the heads up and I will keep your advise in the back of my mind.

Jill said...

My husband turned me on to your site. We're looking for new diapers since the new Pampers are horrible.

I didn't see a "search this blog" box (it's past 8 PM, so my brain is not fully functional), but we were able to find the post by looking through your archive.

Your girls are adorable! Thanks for the tips!