Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Where are all the dads?

I am getting discouraged...where are all the dads? When I go out, weekends included, to a store or the park I only see women...yes there is an occasional man. But really where are they? At work? Yard work? Nonexistent? Where? I know involved fathers are out there...but where?
-
Separation of church and dads? Where are the meetings or groups for fathers? Not just men but specifically young fathers...they don't even have to be SAHD's (Stay at home dads) just Dads. Men NEED the same positive reinforcement that Moms get with programs like MOPs (Mothers of Preschoolers) that are supported by churches. Where is POPs (PARENTS of Preschoolers) or DOPs (Dads of preschoolers) or SAHDOPs (Stay at home dads of preschoolers)? Yeah yeah, "They have groups for men." Yeah BUT NOT for Fathers...it isn't geared towards the men who need and WANT to be better FATHERS...most men's groups have an older clientele...I am looking for something geared toward the 20 something or early 30's dad who has young kids. Dads need a place to vent to and learn from others who are going through the same stuff...just like MOPs...we may not need the crafts aspect of MOPs but we do need that connectivity. Why don't I start one, you ask...I would if I had the time to organize it or knew that there were men out there that wanted or felt they needed the same thing...would I join? Heck yeah in a heart beat. Would I help? You better believe it. Again I ask "where are all the dads?"
-
One father is more than a hundred Schoolemasters. ~George Herbert
-
Blessed indeed is the man who hears many gentle voices call him father! ~Lydia M. Child
-
“I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection.” -Sigmund Freud
-
“The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.” -David O. McKay
-
Until Next Time...BYE

1 comment:

The Texas Trio said...

Here here! I guess all the men are too busy being "the man" to worry about helping each other to be better Fathers:) The only ones I have found are online groups.

Keep the faith,

Al